Hedonisia Hawaii EcoFeminist Community attempts a Rebirth after Pele, the Volcano Goddess, Destroyed it in the Eruption of 2018.
PAHOA, HAWAII: On May 26, 2018, the Kilauea eruption flow destroyed Hedonisia Hawaii Eco-Community with lava covering 75% of the 4-acre property. Though community residents were all evacuated safely, Hedonisia now only exists in photos, memories and its archived website.
For 14 years Hedonisia was able to grow and thrive. The community appealed to those who wish to make a living by making a difference! With a focus on gender equality, Hedonisia attracted idealistic Volunteers and Interns from around the world.
Community Director, Mojo Mustapha noted the irony of Pele, Hawaiian Goddess of Volcanoes, destroying, the world’s first EcoFeminist Community. “Much of the rest of Hawaii is overdeveloped, overpriced and with strict zoning regulations that cater to those with money. Except for the Puna region. We always thought of Pele as our protector. If it wasn’t for the fact that our land was in Lava Zone 1, we could not afford to build our community. And now, Madam Pele has taken our beloved community away.“
Mojo, despite losing his property and community, remains hopeful. “Pele allowed us to exist and she decided that we must leave for a while. Our 14 years of developing an activist yet pleasurable form of community living, needs to go beyond the shores of Hawaii. We will continue to work on the Hedonisia EcoFeminist Entrepreneur projects. However, our focus is now much more global as we bring the lessons we learned in Hawaii to the world.”
To prepare for their return and rebuild when it is safe and feasible to do so, the community has set up a Rebirth Hedonisia Community Crowdfund Campaign.
We give permission to use any photos or text from any other press resources below:
- HedonisiaHawaii.com: Our post-volcano community website
- Hedonisia Pre-Volcano Archive: Our web page showing Hedonisia before the lava flow.
- Hedonisia Hawaii Photo History: 14-year photo history on the evolution of our community.
- Video of the last visit to the property on May 10, 2018: I was given permission by the police for what turned out to be my final visit to the property before it was taken by lava.
- Rebirth Hedonisia Crowdfund Campaign. Our campaign to rebuild our ecofeminist community.
- EcoFeminist Community & Jungle Queen Video. Many are curious about what it means to be an ecofeminist community. This video, which was finished just before the eruption, showed our empowering form of ecofeminism in the rainforest.
- Mojo Hedo Lava Flow. Hedonisia Youtube Channel on evolving from the ashes of Pele into a different kind of community.
For more info contact:
Mojo Mustapha (Community Director)
Phone: +1 808.269-2825